Smart Roads Design Assurance
The M1 J13-16 Smart Motorway scheme presented specific challenges caused by narrow verges and the space required for technology infrastructure. This necessitated amendments to the detailed design whilst the scheme was in construction. 4way were tasked with identifying innovative solutions to create the space needed on site by reducing the scope of earthworks and retaining solutions.
What we did
We collaborated with suppliers and sub-contractors to design buildable solutions which facilitated the installation of operational technology infrastructure at locations where verge space was tightly constrained. This included;
- A new combined power and communications cabinet solution (including internal power design) which reduced the quantity of cabinets installed on the scheme.
- Inline configuration of cabinet and chamber site layouts to reduce the scope of earthworks and retaining solutions.
- A grillage mounted cabinet / chamber and method for routing ducts from the verge up to helical piled gantries.
- A continuous coiled duct solution to enable the installation of longitudinal ducting.
Our innovative approach to cabinet / chamber configurations, helical piled gantries and coiled ducting helped to mitigate the risk of programme delays caused by narrow verges. Cabinets were delivered to site pre-fitted with power distribution units. This approach removed the requirement for secondary site visits by electrical engineers, reducing the risk exposure to road workers and accelerating the commissioning programme. In total, cabinet quantities across the scheme were reduced by 50%.
- Detailed design
- Design assurance
- Value engineering
- Innovation, collaboration
- Risk mitigation
- Road worker safety
- Off-site assembly